Week #89 A Deadly Game by Pete Wilson

Hello All...I came across this post a while back and found it very interesting. I am pasting the post below, but here is the link to the actual post: A Deadly Game if you want to check out Pete Wilson's blog.
-----------------------------------
A Deadly Game

I was driving home last night from speaking at staff and spouses retreat for Long Hollow Baptist Church located in nearby Hendersonville, TN. Long Hollow is an amazing church that is growing leaps and bounds. With almost 6,ooo people in attendance each weekend it’s one of the best kept secrets in the church world. Their pastor, David Landrith is one of the most incredible men I’ve ever met. It would be an understatement to say he’s got the entire “package.”

To be honest, anytime I get around high capacity people like this I start to play this mental game. I call it the “I Wish” game.

I wish I could lead like Jeff Henderson.

I wish I was creative like Scott Hodge.

I wish I could preach like Perry Noble.

I wish I could cast vision like Greg Surratt.

I wish I could network like Brad Lomenick

But comparison is a deadly game. The danger of comparison is no matter who you do it with, eventually there is always someone whose prettier, smarter, faster, more connected or higher-up then you. They’re more _______________________.

There is always somebody who is “more.”

The danger of comparison is we find ourselves looking to other people for our value and determining our value by how we compare with other people.

You put two similar things side-by-side and compare them. We all do it when we comparison shop. It’s okay for cars, golf clubs, and shoes… but not for people. For people, comparison is deadly.

We have a tendency to keep looking over our shoulder to see who gets the car we wanted, the job we needed, the spouse we desired. Who has the most gifted children, the bigger blog, and whose got the latest iBook, iMac, iPhone or anything else that starts with an i.

I’m tired of playing this game. How about you?
by Pete Wilson

2 comments:

Nicole said...

A Deadly Game...it is death to the beautiful stamp that God has put on each of us. Comparing yourself to another, and in many cases feeling like you don't measure up, is basically telling God that He messed up. He didn't make you right. There was a mistake made that has now lessened our importance and value. It is also death to our defense against our enemy who wants nothing more than to aid that self-destruction. We are made in the image of a loving Father who knows what gifts and qualities will best be used to serve and honor Him. Rest in that peace :)

Jon said...

Great comment Nicole! I really like the part about how comparing ourselves with others kills our defense against our enemy :) never really thought about that before.

I used to really struggle with comparing myself/my life to others. I still do at times...I think it is impossible not to because of the type of world we live in where we are constantly told to be like this person or that person. But through prayer and studying God's Word, He has shown me that I am unique and that He made me to live a very specific life that He has planned out. If we trust God and believe that He knows what is best for us, we have no need to compare ourselves to others. God is in control...we just need to strive to be like Him :)